Author Topic: Back and Back and Back to the Future - 1.05  (Read 3054 times)

Offline K_Lara7

• K'Lara7
  • Contributor
  • Why do our plans never work?
Back and Back and Back to the Future - 1.05
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I have to leave for work, this one will be breif, I'll add more later.

I love time travel episodes of any show.  They don't always make sense, but the ride is usually fun.  In this case, I love John's understanding of time anomolies.  He puts on his vest to give him a reference point.  Then he breaks haan's mask to mark a new shift.  Natala really freaks him out.  He doesn't find her attractive, yet he keeps seeing her attack him.  How do you explain visions like that?

Zhaan seems to find the whole time travel part facinating.  Aeryn's response, "The future, he can barely function in the present!"  I was a little disappointed that they never showed any side-effects of the black hole or temporal displacement after BBBTF.  It would have been interesting.  And of course, leave it to John to get zapped by the black hole.

Talk about plans that don't work.  I think I counted 4.  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:32:10 AM by KernilCrash »
"You know, all things considered, there are worse ways to end a day."  :)
Char

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • What's Crash up to NOW?!?!?
    • Crash Debris
Re: Back and Back and Back to the Future - 1.05
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »
At long last, I finally made time to watch the Rewatch episode!!  :happydance:

I remember that I did not particularly like this episode the first time I watched it.  I've come to enjoy it more and more each time I go through it.  There's so much to like about it.  It's the first black-T episode, as John begins his transition from who he was into who he is eventually going to become.  :wibble:   His relationship with D'Argo takes a step forward, when he learns that there is more to D'Argo's history than he (D'Argo) will admit.  The filmography during the time shifts is great.  And I love the first use of the PK-design carpet and the symbolism of how Aeryn winds up lying on the red chevron.  (I just wish I had figured that out myself, instead of having to read about it when they got to The Way We Weren't.  :laugh:

I don't usually like time travel story lines, precisely because there is usually a huge logic hole in them somewhere.  What I like about BBBTF is that they did NOT attempt to tie up all the loose, straggly ends ... and by leaving things a bit vague and unresolved, they do not drive the episode headlong into a time paradox that cannot be explained or sufficiently resolved in a single episode. 

I loathe unaddressed time paradoxes.  If the writers/producers (of any show) are going to tackle time travel, then either do what Farscape has done here (leave it wide open because no one on board Moya has the answers) or commit to getting it all worked out.  :vent:  I'm happy with the highly Farscapian method of just tossing out a fast explanation -- "temporal dislocation" -- and then getting back to the storytelling.  They're only 5 episodes into the process, and they've already established that they'll toss this stuff at the audience and let the viewers figure it out for themselves, assuming that each individual member of the audience is intelligent enough to work out the answers for him/herself. 
Happiness is not a destination.  It is a method of life. -- Burton Hills
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline silvervixen

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 01:24:51 PM »
The very first thing I jotted down when I was watching this episode this time around was that Matala's look is reminiscent of the 1980's. Maybe it's the headband and the way her outfit looks a bit like a high-cut leotard. I don't know but I could hear Irene Cara singing "What a Feeling" in my head during the scenes with her.  :laugh:

D'Argo seems pretty cowed by the Illanics, who we learn are allies of the Luxans and are a closely related species. D'Argo's reaction to them makes me want to know more about them and the Scorvians.

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • What's Crash up to NOW?!?!?
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »
The very first thing I jotted down when I was watching this episode this time around was that Matala's look is reminiscent of the 1980's. Maybe it's the headband and the way her outfit looks a bit like a high-cut leotard. I don't know but I could hear Irene Cara singing "What a Feeling" in my head during the scenes with her.  :laugh:

Good point about the look.  She needs leg warmers, doesn't she?  And based on the outfit, she obviously does aerobics.  :laugh:  

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:45:51 PM by KernilCrash »
Happiness is not a destination.  It is a method of life. -- Burton Hills
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene