Author Topic: And yet another nosey "have you ever"  (Read 5982 times)

Offline shester

• Contributor
And yet another nosey "have you ever"
« on: January 20, 2009, 02:09:12 PM »
had a story all planned out.  The beginning, the middle and the end.  You knew every single thing that was going to happen and when you sat down to write it the characters wouldn't talk to each other.  No way no how.  I am speaking of John and Aeryn of course since they are my main focus but any ones will do.    (I was thinking about Aeryn coming back in Season 4 and what would happen if John just would not talk to her and I wondered what you would do as a writer if your characters refused to talk.)

Sybil

Earth.  Terra Firma.  Seems forever it's filled my thoughts, been my goal.  And now...I'm here.
John Crichton-Terra Firma

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • What's Crash up to NOW?!?!?
    • Crash Debris
Re: And yet another nosey "have you ever"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »
I'll have to think about this.  I usually have the other problem.  The two blabber mouths won't shut up.  I was having that problem with The Chrysalis.  I wanted to get them into bed together, and they wouldn't shut the frell up and get under the covers. 

Let me think on it a bit.  :ponder:
Happiness is not a destination.  It is a method of life. -- Burton Hills
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »
 :book2: :yawn2:

;D

Sybil

Earth.  Terra Firma.  Seems forever it's filled my thoughts, been my goal.  And now...I'm here.

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:31:35 AM »
Sorry for the delay.  I went back to work this week (part time, and not even every week), and we've been handling a couple of problems at Terra Firma, which tends to chew through my free time in a hurry. 

I haven't been able to think of any instances of what you're describing.  Lately I haven't had enough time to "daydream", which is when the stories actually get created, but that's not what you're talking about. 

Nope.  My problem is getting those two blabber mouths to shut up (frequently they're just snarking at each other in a loving but sarcastic way), and get down to business.  :naughty:

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline Nette

• Contributor
  • Irreversibly Contaminated...
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 04:03:28 AM »
Sybil I love reading your nosey "have you ever" questions!!

I have just finished reading (twice actually) The Chrysalis and absolutely loved it   :lovies:

How do you plan out a story Crash??  Do you write short notes or do you just start writing and it all just pours out of your head   :spin:

Enjoy going back to work but I hope you get time to "daydream"    ;)

Nette

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:54:26 AM »
That's fine Crash take your time. 

Thanks Nette.  I am just nosy by nature and I love hearing about the writing process.  I wish I could do it and I envy people who do.

Sybil

Offline Nette

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:00:25 AM »
Same here.  I am in awe of people that can write and so glad I get the chance to read the stories.

Nette

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:07:24 PM »
Sybil I love reading your nosey "have you ever" questions!!

I love Sybil's questions.  :lovies:  So much of my writing is still on the instinctive level that it's fun and educational for me to sit down and think some of these things out.  And I get to rattle on about writing at length, which I like to do probably too much.  ;)

I have just finished reading (twice actually) The Chrysalis and absolutely loved it

Four entire chapters of J&A in the shower.  :melting:  God I love soap suds. 

How do you plan out a story Crash??  Do you write short notes or do you just start writing and it all just pours out of your head

It kind of depends, but for the most part it's just *there* one day, inside my head.  The staler it gets (like most of my half-written stories right now), the more I have to sit down and figure out what comes next, but that's because it's not alive and vibrant inside my head.  Generally, once I get it moving again, I'm all set. 

The exception is Measure of Devotion.  The story is going to be SO long that I've had to at least frame it out so I know where certain bits of exposition or critical "reveals" are going to land.  But the saga is primarily inside my head, alive and beating at the walls to be let out.  ;D

Enjoy going back to work but I hope you get time to "daydream"

Going back to work has actually been great in terms of getting me focused on using my time more efficiently and getting my interest in the stories spooled up again.  I don't like going to work in the morning.  :weeping:  I would much rather stay home and type.  So it's kind of gotten me fired up to get some stories moving again.  :agreed:  Next week I'm only scheduled for 1 day, and the week after that I'm not scheduled at all.  PERFECT!! 

:greenstars:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:08:07 PM by KernilCrash »

Offline Nette

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 09:16:10 AM »
I love Sybil's questions.  :lovies:  So much of my writing is still on the instinctive level that it's fun and educational for me to sit down and think some of these things out.  And I get to rattle on about writing at length, which I like to do probably too much.  ;)

Love hearing about the writing process so please "rattle" on  ;)

It kind of depends, but for the most part it's just *there* one day, inside my head.  The staler it gets (like most of my half-written stories right now), the more I have to sit down and figure out what comes next, but that's because it's not alive and vibrant inside my head.  Generally, once I get it moving again, I'm all set. 

The exception is Measure of Devotion.  The story is going to be SO long that I've had to at least frame it out so I know where certain bits of exposition or critical "reveals" are going to land.  But the saga is primarily inside my head, alive and beating at the walls to be let out.  ;D

Thanks for the insight Crash and I look forward to reading this new story when it is finished   :hyper:

Going back to work has actually been great in terms of getting me focused on using my time more efficiently and getting my interest in the stories spooled up again.  I don't like going to work in the morning.  :weeping:  I would much rather stay home and type.  So it's kind of gotten me fired up to get some stories moving again.  :agreed:  Next week I'm only scheduled for 1 day, and the week after that I'm not scheduled at all.  PERFECT!! 

More time for writing  YAY!!!!   

Nette

Offline Eirenne

• Contributor
  • Beyond Hope....
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »
That's fine Crash take your time. 

Thanks Nette.  I am just nosy by nature and I love hearing about the writing process.  I wish I could do it and I envy people who do.

Sybil

Nosey by nature is an understatement.......... :laugh:

But I am envious of people like Crash who can write such large pieces of fiction...right now I am not at that point...I bow down to those who can!

banner by pwells228

"I would be lost without you..."  :heartbeat:

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 02:29:23 PM »
Nosey by nature is an understatement.......... :laugh:

Bite me. :razz:

But I am envious of people like Crash who can write such large pieces of fiction...right now I am not at that point...I bow down to those who can!

Me too.

Sybil