Author Topic: Have you ever  (Read 1388 times)

Offline shester

• Contributor
Have you ever
« on: December 05, 2008, 12:08:15 PM »
had a story in mind that you wanted to do, with it all plotted out and when you started writing it somehow it was a completely different story?  And if you do then what do you do with the story that you had in mind start with?

I should pay attention to my driving and not think about stories all the time. ;D

Sybil

Earth.  Terra Firma.  Seems forever it's filled my thoughts, been my goal.  And now...I'm here.
John Crichton-Terra Firma

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • What's Crash up to NOW?!?!?
    • Crash Debris
Re: Have you ever
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 12:30:12 PM »
I can't think of one where that's happened to me.

The closest I've come is when the characters have begun to "misbehave".  That's a testament to the depth and complexity of the characters, though.  When they take off on the writer like that, it's usually because their personality is well-enough developed that they are staying in character despite the writer's best efforts to get them to behave otherwise.

A good example was Night Walker.  One of the things I wanted to do in that story was to injure everyone on board Moya.  I originally planned to get Rygel in the lake along with John and Aeryn.  When the moment came, however, the little slug wouldn't go in the water.  :laugh:  Which is exactly correct for Rygel. 

Happiness is not a destination.  It is a method of life. -- Burton Hills
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 09:48:43 PM »
How like Rygel to keep himself out of harms way. :LOL:

I loved that story by the way.  The way you had John hearing things and knowing things weren't quite right while he was healing. 

I need to go back and read that one.  I really liked it.  And those were Pilots kin, so to speak, in the water right?  It has been a while since I have read this.

Sybil

Earth.  Terra Firma.  Seems forever it's filled my thoughts, been my goal.  And now...I'm here.

Offline Domino

• Ben is awesome!!
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 04:54:16 AM »
I agree Crash.

I loved Night Walker.

One of my all time favs.  I loved the twist of the creatures possibly being of the same species as Pilot.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 04:55:16 AM by Domino »
Ben/John/Cam are sex in leather.

I love the pairing of Cam Mitchell and John Sheppard.

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 07:43:52 AM »
And those were Pilots kin, so to speak, in the water right? 

Possibly.  ;) 

Actually, that's a good point, and speaks to your original question, Sybil.  The appearance of those critters is about as close to a fic going off at odd angles that I've had.  I got the idea of Night Walker because I was rereading Beowulf at the time.  I've always gotten hung up on the battle at the bottom of the lake and the fact that Beowulf would have had to hold his breath for days.  (Yes, I know it's supposed to be allegorical, but I still keep getting hung up on that detail.  :laugh: )  I wound up with this merging of Beowulf and Farscape inside my head, and decided to do an underwater battle.  Somewhere along the way, without stopping to consult me, the monsters started to look a lot like Pilot, only a lot more malevolent.  :laugh: 

Domino, have you had anything like what Sybil mentioned happen?  A story taking it's own direction? 

I had one story get totally shot down by my beta-reader at the time (and rightfully so).  I tossed that one into a file called the Slag Heap and let it sit for a while, then threw out about 75% of the trash, kept the 25% that was worth anything, wrote a new beginning and ending, and turned it into Spaced Out.  I'd still like to go back and revisit my original intention some day, which was to write a story that has John experiencing Moya from all the senses except sight.  I wanted to wallow in what it might feel, sound, and smell like to live aboard Moya, which I intended to do by temporarily blinding John. 

So maybe that does answer your question, Sybil.  ;)  Write the modified story, and put the original idea on a back burner until a new story comes to mind. 
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 10:54:15 AM »
I thought they were another version of Pilot.   

I think you should finish the story about a blind John.  I loved the description of John merging with Moya in Whispers.  The way he got lost inside of her and was swept away not knowing if he would be able to get back. 

Sybil

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »
I thought they were another version of Pilot.  

You're not wrong.  ;)  I just never really confirmed it in the story, so I was being a brat about it.  :razz:

I think you should finish the story about a blind John.

I'll put it on the list.  The tough part about going back to do that is that I keep envisioning my original method of how I blinded him, and I used that set up in Spaced Out.  :laugh: 

You know ... :ponder: ... <thinking thinking thinking> 

This might make a really cool Starburst Challenge.  Not blinding John.  Getting everyone to write Moya from the POV of someone who can't see her for some reason.  <Claims dibbies on the idea.  No one reading this gets to snurch it.>

I'll have to start writing more responses to the Starburst Challenges so I have a better shot at hosting one.  ;D

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 06:06:17 PM »
There are many ways he can be blinded in the UT I am sure you will think of something.

That would be a great challenge for everyone to do.

Sybil