Author Topic: FORUM RULES  (Read 6239 times)

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • What's Crash up to NOW?!?!?
    • Crash Debris
FORUM RULES
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:46:02 AM »
Welcome to Feedback! 

Please take the time to read through the following rules, and make sure that you understand them.  I have tried to make them easy to understand and digest.  These are the rules that you agreed to read and follow when you accepted the registration agreement. 

I have listed the rules in this first portion of the thread so you can skim over them quickly.  Longer explanations are contained in the replies.  I strongly encourage you to wade through the longer explanations so there is no misconception about what I am asking from each member.  I've done our best not to bore you to death with the explanations.

You will notice more than a little resemblance to the rules that exist for Terra Firma.  As most everyone who wanders in here knows, I was heavily involved in writing those rules.  I'm not attempting to justify or apologize for plagiarizing.  All I'm saying is that my brain tends to work in certain directions, so there are bound to be some similarities. 

1.  Play nice!  Also known as:  Demonstrate respect for others. 

2.  Enjoy yourself.

3.  I own and operate the forum.

4.  Do not 'hijack' threads.  Stay on topic.

5.  SPAM is prohibited. 

6. The 'management' reserves the right to remove any material at all from the forum without prior notice.

7. The legalese.  Everything else you agreed to in the registration agreement.

8.  Management reserves the right to add new rules.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:41:05 PM by KernilCrash »
Happiness is not a destination.  It is a method of life. -- Burton Hills
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
1. Play nice. (Also known as: Demonstrate respect for others.)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 01:16:29 PM »
It is a simple concept, and a relatively simple rule.  Be polite; exercise your manners. 

This does not mean you don't get to disagree with me or any other member of the forum.  All it means is that everyone should be given the room to have their own opinion and voice it without getting attacked on a personal level or called names.  Please remember to debate the TOPIC, not the person. 

That's all there is to this rule.  Play nice.  If you can't play nice, please go somewhere else. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:41:45 PM by KernilCrash »
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
2. Enjoy yourself.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:24:10 PM »
The whole purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people to chat, to badger me about when I intend to post the next story (or chapter of a story), to ask questions or make observations about anything I have posted on my website (including the occasional drooling over a screen capture of Ben Browder) and to generally have a good time. 

So ... within the limitations of Rule 1, just enjoy yourself while you are here. 

Keep one thing in mind, however.  If your idea of fun is provoking people (as opposed to provoking thought or conversation), I have little or no patience with that sort of thing.  If you feel an overwhelming desire to derive some fun by poking someone with a sharp stick, I encourage you to do it some place else. 

But aside from that example and anything that might turn out to be in violation of the forum's rules, almost anything else is fair game.   

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 01:41:54 PM by KernilCrash »

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
3. I own and operate the forum.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 01:33:33 PM »
Okay ... I know ... This sounds like the stupidest rule ever to hit the planet.  I'm sure at least one person out there is going to read this rule, scratch their head, and wonder how this can even be classified as a "rule".

Here's my point.  This is NOT an open forum like Terra Firma that is controlled as much by the community as it is by the Moderators, and it does NOT have a group of people running it, to put the brakes on me when I start to go off at odd angles.  I suspect at least one person is going to wander in here without thinking it through and overlook that this is my site and my forum, which means that it is also my playground.  What this means is that whatever I say is law.  

If a problem occurs, I will do my absolute best to be fair-minded, reasonable, and rational, but I will also be serving as judge, jury, and executioner.    

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:07:10 AM by KernilCrash »

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
4. Do not hijack threads. Stay on topic.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 01:39:55 PM »
Before I get down to the actual rule, allow me to say that I don't believe hijacking is every really going to become a problem on this forum.  Even if a topic veers radically off course, I have a hunch that everyone involved in the discussion will probably be happy to go along for the ride, and it won't become an issue.  I am including the rule because the Admin Team at Terra Firma has discovered that it is one of the most wide-ranging, useful rules we ever included out of pure ignorance.  I would not want to attempt to run a forum without it.  So ... here it is.  ;D

And just in case we get someone in here who has never run across this forum phenomenon before ... 'Hijacking' occurs when someone knowingly veers away from the topic being discussed, taking it in a direction other than what the originator of the thread intended.  If this starts to happen, I would appreciate it if you would begin a new thread.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:46:47 PM by KernilCrash »

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
5. Spam is prohibited.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »
Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, sales of merchandise, e-mail harvesting and solicitations are not allowed on this forum.  I will utilize the full capacity of the software to prevent as many of these annoyances as possible.

Notifying the members of a sale that is occuring at some other site IS permitted.  (Example for clarity:  Someone is selling an item at another site.  A link to that site IS permitted.)

Another form of spamming is when an individual joins the forum and posts with the sole intention of promoting their own website or forum.  This is also not allowed, and depending on the severity of the self-promotion, the offender stands a chance of getting booted out of here (permanently banned) on the first offense.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:50:18 PM by KernilCrash »

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
That says it all, but it's also a catch-all provision, folks.  It allows me to take down a reply or an entire topic without warning or explanation.  Those of you who know me, know that I won't do something like that without just cause.  I may whisk a thread out of sight if I'm in a rush and can't make up my mind whether it's a problem, but I won't yank something arbitrarily and I'll always give you an explanation once I have the time to put together a message.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:54:00 PM by KernilCrash »

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
7. The "legal stuff" ... because it's got to be in here somewhere.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 01:40:35 PM »
When you accepted the terms of the registration agreement, you accepted that you would read and abide by the posted rules of the forum.  Here's the legal stuff.  It is just as binding as having fun and knowing what may or may not disappear from the boards, so you ought to take the time to read what's in here. 

Note that it is impossible for the owner of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that I may not actively monitor the content of every single posted message, and as such, am not responsible for the content contained within. I do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify the owner of this forum immediately. As the owner of this forum, I reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if I determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however.  Please realize that I may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owner of this forum, any related websites to this forum, and its subsidiaries. The owner of this forum also reserves the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability to choose your displayed username. Keep the name appropriate (i.e. no profanity). With this user account, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason. We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.

Once you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded.  This is done in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:31:39 PM by KernilCrash »

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
8. Management reserves the right to add new rules.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 01:40:44 PM »
I have not included a couple of rules that are commonly used at most larger, more active forums because I do not believe certain problems will occur here.  (This might be evidence that one or two of my cerebral screws have come loose.) 

Therefore, I reserve the right to add new rules, should they become necessary.  (It's my forum, I get to do that.  ;) )

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:38:11 PM by KernilCrash »