Author Topic: Hello  (Read 13634 times)

Offline ixchup

• Contributor
    • Words To Web
Hello
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »
I thought I would start a thread about why I registered. I'm going to get really opinionated here, so trash this if you don't want it, okay.

There are two types of fan fiction in Farscape and they seem to have driven readers into different corners that annoy me. There are story tellers and there are literary fiction. Crash, I think you fall into the story teller school of writing. A lot of the writing on TF are stories that cry out to be told. The writers might experiment with different styles of writing or Points of View, or whatnot, but it is the plot and characters that are important. There is another school of fan fiction that lives elsewhere (Live Journal mostly) where the "art" seems to be more important than telling a good story. There are budding Faulkners, Dos Pasos, Joyce, Kafkas among the writers and I enjoy those stories too, except they are sometimes difficult to figure out where the fiction is going or what is trying to be said. It makes me sad that this dichotomy of stories split some time back because there is a place for great story tellers (my preferred read where the characters and the worlds are more important than the words and styling -- although great writers like you manage to startle me all the time with your turn of phrase, your purpose is to show something that furthers the plot) as well as great artistes. I just want folks to get along.

I'm off my soapbox.

I registered here because I want to share my love of your work and talk about it and maybe learn something about how to write better fiction -- I gave it up but might get the urge if I can get the courage back. You have a lot to teach.

Remove this if I went too far, okay.
"Don't be afraid to question. Don't be afraid to get fired. Don't be afraid to be wrong." - Ben Browder

John: "How did you get so wise?"
Pilot: "I don't get out much, so I read."
  --Revenging Angel

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • What's Crash up to NOW?!?!?
    • Crash Debris
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:08:28 PM »
Hi ixchup!  And welcome!  ;D

I agree with you about the schism that seemed to occur in the fandom's fanfic community, and think that it's a shame.  That's not to say that there aren't some phenomenal writers at places like Terra Firma, or that they aren't writing some incredible 'literature'.  Pulling the first name that comes to mind (which is to say that I don't want to overlook anyone), Sunshine has written some stupendous stories.  She has done some stream of consciousness stuff that carries the reader straight into the character's mind, and leaves you gasping at both the vision created and the beauty of the prose. 

What I admire about the writers who prefer Live Journal as a vehicle for posting and sharing stories is the "collegial" atmosphere there.  Most of the writers at TF use betareaders, but there isn't the sense of the entire community being involved in a writer's work, or contributing to each other's efforts.  I think that is due, in part, to the nature of the two different methods of online communication.  LJ has the Friends Lists, so a writer can choose who can or cannot see a work in progress.  A forum is much more limited in that respect, which means that if a writer opens up a work in progress to public commentary, almost too many people can view it. 

I think it has more to do with the people in each group, though.  TF tried the Storyboard, where people could critique works in progress, and it died pretty quickly due to lack of participation.  That speaks more to the type of writers' community present at the forum.  I'm not being critical.  It is what it is.  I simply admire the group dynamic that exists among the LJ writers, and wish we could infuse the 'story tellers' at TF with the same variety of enthusiasm.

Changing gears, the 'story telling' versus 'art' issue is one that strikes close to my heart because for me, it is very much about finding my 'voice'.  When I first started writing fanfiction, I would look at the writers who were turning out beautifully crafted works of art (Maayan springs to mind) and get tackled by horrendous bouts of inadequacy.  Reading some of those other stories could bring my own writing to an abrupt, total, screeching halt because I could not envision myself ever learning to write that well. 

Then I made a very important discovery.  All I wanted to be able to do is "tell a good yarn".  I came up with that phrase during a trip to England in the summer of 2002.  I stayed with a friend who was fascinated by the fact that I had begun to write (even though she didn't understand the fanfiction aspect of it, which is understandable since she doesn't own a television).  One evening she handed me a book about a young man living on the southwest coast of England in the 19th century, who runs afoul of smugglers and brigands and the like.  She thought I might enjoy the story because it takes place where I was staying at the time.  I found something else there:  a good yarn, and the answer to a quandry about my writing that had been bothering me since I wrote 'Yeti'. 

The experts say:  Write what you know.  More importantly, a writer should write what they enjoy, and I enjoy a good yarn.  It doesn't have to be a rollicking adventure with mayhem and gunfire.  (Although those are always fun, too!)  But I'll almost certainly never turn out high art or the next great American novel for the simple reason that I do not aspire to write that kind of literature.  Coming to that realization wasn't a simple matter.  It took time, effort, and thought.  But in the end, I found what might be the most important thing a writer needs to find.  My voice.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:29:10 PM by KernilCrash »
Happiness is not a destination.  It is a method of life. -- Burton Hills
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline ixchup

• Contributor
    • Words To Web
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:13:06 PM »
Hi ixchup!  And welcome!  ;D

I agree with you about the schism that seemed to occur in the fandom's fanfic community, and think that it's a shame.  That's not to say that there aren't some phenomenal writers at places like Terra Firma, or that they aren't writing some incredible 'literature'.  Pulling the first name that comes to mind (which is to say that I don't want to overlook anyone), Sunshine has written some stupendous stories.  She has done some stream of consciousness stuff that carries the reader straight into the character's mind, and leaves you gasping at both the vision created and the beauty of the prose. 

See, I totally agree with you that there are writers who post on TF who are amazing stylists. I love Sunshine's work, too. I also like when Sarajane drops by with her work (although it is sometimes way too dark for me).

I also totally agree that the venue of 6,000 eyes can be intimidating and sometimes totally off putting. My daughter posted a cross over she was working on of Doctor Who and Farscape. She was terrified of being flamed because she had that experience on FF.net. Well, she was 16 at the time and had already published poetry in high school and had been writing for a few years but hardly ever posted. Michael flamed her (I came on and chastised him for his harshness and getting personal. I think you did too). She hasn't posted again. She just left for college yesterday (man, how time flies) and is studying screenwriting, but her first experience publishing wasn't great. My point is about almost too much spotlight on TF vs. the more intimate writer's circle on LJ. The other side of LJ's coin, however, is the feeling of exclusiveness and the sometimes harsh criticism. For example, I posted one of my last stories on TF and people seemed to like it. I tried to post on Shrift's new archive and was rejected and my grammar was criticized unmercifully and the story wasn't worthy. I haven't written again (fiction)--I do write a lot of non-fiction for work.
Changing gears, the 'story telling' versus 'art' issue is one that strikes close to my heart because for me, it is very much about finding my 'voice'.  When I first started writing fanfiction, I would look at the writers who were turning out beautifully crafted works of art (Maayan springs to mind) and get tackled by horrendous bouts of inadequacy.  Reading some of those other stories could bring my own writing to an abrupt, total, screeching halt because I could not envision myself ever learning to write that well. 

Then I made a very important discovery.  All I wanted to be able to do is "tell a good yarn".  I came up with that phrase during a trip to England in the summer of 2002.  I stayed with a friend who was fascinated by the fact that I had begun to write (even though she didn't understand the fanfiction aspect of it, which is understandable since she doesn't own a television).  One evening she handed me a book about a young man living on the southwest coast of England in the 19th century, who runs afoul of smugglers and brigands and the like.  She thought I might enjoy the story because it takes place where I was staying at the time.  I found something else there:  a good yarn, and the answer to a quandry about my writing that had been bothering me since I wrote 'Yeti'. 

The experts say:  Write what you know.  More importantly, a writer should write what they enjoy, and I enjoy a good yarn.  It doesn't have to be a rollicking adventure with mayhem and gunfire.  (Although those are always fun, too!)  But I'll almost certainly never turn out high art or the next great American novel for the simple reason that I do not aspire to write that kind of literature.  Coming to that realization wasn't a simple matter.  It took time, effort, and thought.  But in the end, I found what might be the most important thing a writer needs to find.  My voice.

See, this is what happened to me. I got so overwhelmed by what I saw as my inadequacy to write style when all I wanted to do was tell a story (although I have learned so much about description and the ability to say so much between the words -- sort of like you do in Changeling) that I stopped. I just couldn't see in myself the ability to express what was inside me (I'm very visual) in words in the way others can. Maayan IS the perfect example as is Cofax. In fact, that whole circle on LJ is scary and amazing and sometimes extremely infuriating.

But finding your voice and writing, such as what you are doing, and I know will do with original characters is so brave. Because you bare a piece of yourself in every story. I get this way with websites--I get horendously intimidated by the artists and the programming that underlies the art that I get totally flummoxed and can't work, but then for some reason it comes a challenge to learn new tricks yet be myself.

I think that is why it is smart to find a place where you can write what you want. Look a Stephanie Myers and those vampire books. There is a Mormon housewife who sits down and writes 700 pages of soap opera and gets published--4 times! And now a movie. And those are smashing yarns. I'm glad you found your voice as well. I love a good yarn as well.
"Don't be afraid to question. Don't be afraid to get fired. Don't be afraid to be wrong." - Ben Browder

--Revenging Angel

Offline DorothyGail

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:05:51 PM »
LOL - no matter what my "title" is, I'm always a Reader. :laugh: :laugh:

I staggered in here looking for some Crashfic, and found you guys!  yay!  :redstars:

I hope to have more time in the months to come to go back and re-read some of your classics, and to find some new stories.

I needed a Crashfic fix.  Nothing else would do.  :agreed: :agreed: :agreed:

Good Job! Crash!

Offline pilotseyes

• Reader
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »
Hi, Crash!  ;D

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Welcome!!  ;D
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline ixchup

• Contributor
    • Words To Web
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »
Hi Crash,

Hope the jet lag isn't daunting.

Hi Piloteyes and DG!

I am still thinking about what we spoke of at the con, re: finding a voice and how Footfalls was so important in that regard. The rhythm of the words tells as much of the story as the descriptions of Aeryn--it reveals her enormous worry that she has to hide to survive John's illness and continue to be a good mother. It is definitely a defining moment in your writing where you take a "good yarn" and enhance the emotion within it through onomatopoeia. It has become one of my favorite stories after Whispers (which does some enormous world building and culture creating--an entire race that can read each other's thoughts).

--Revenging Angel

Offline Domino

• Ben is awesome!!
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 02:35:31 AM »
Very well said, Rita!

I love the story tellers...  that's usually what I'm after.  I want to enjoy the ride!!

Oh....and....HELLO EVERYONE!  I'm here....  *said sing-song like in Poltergeist the movie*
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:36:59 AM by Domino »
Ben/John/Cam are sex in leather.

I love the pairing of Cam Mitchell and John Sheppard.

Offline Eirenne

• Contributor
  • Beyond Hope....
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »
Quote from: ixchup link=topic=23.Ddate=1226510457

I am still thinking about what we spoke of at the con, re: finding a voice and how Footfalls was so important in that regard. The rhythm of the words tells as much of the story as the descriptions of Aeryn--it reveals her enormous worry that she has to hide to survive John's illness and continue to be a good mother. It is definitely a defining moment in your writing where you take a "good yarn" and enhance the emotion within it through onomatopoeia. It has become one of my favorite stories after Whispers (which does some enormous world building and culture creating--an entire race that can read each other's thoughts).

Footfalls really hit a chord in me too!  For the reasons you mention above Rita.  When speaking about finding the right voice, I have always loved Crash's John but more importantly how she writes Aeryn.  Much in line with the Aeryn that I know.

Footfalls is printed out and resides on my night table.  I have reread it several times.  The 2nd person style that this was written in made it more impactful for me.

;D

banner by pwells228

"I would be lost without you..."  :heartbeat:

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 03:28:51 PM »
First ... Hello and welcome to Domino!  :wave:

As for Foot Falls, I've discovered that 2nd person can be addictive.  It puts the reader (which includes the writer) so deep inside the POV character, that it's tempting to keep using it.  I have to keep telling myself to save it for something special.  ;)  I toyed with the idea of doing an upcoming story in 2nd person, but it's going to be NC-17, and I decided that 2nd person would be a little too intense.  :naughty: 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:29:24 PM by KernilCrash »

Offline Domino

• Ben is awesome!!
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 11:59:27 PM »
Glad to be here Crash!!!
Ben/John/Cam are sex in leather.

I love the pairing of Cam Mitchell and John Sheppard.

Offline Eirenne

• Contributor
  • Beyond Hope....
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 03:35:02 PM »

As for Foot Falls, I've discovered that 2nd person can be addictive.  It puts the reader (which includes the writer) so deep inside the POV character, that it's tempting to keep using it.  I have to keep telling myself to save it for something special.  ;)  I toyed with the idea of doing an upcoming story in 2nd person, but it's going to be NC-17, and I decided that 2nd person would be a little too intense.  :naughty: 

:laugh:

But it would be so worth it..................... :devil:

banner by pwells228

"I would be lost without you..."  :heartbeat:

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 08:05:51 AM »

I like intense.  John's pov or Aeryn's?

Hello everyone.

Sybil
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 08:07:15 AM by shester »

Earth.  Terra Firma.  Seems forever it's filled my thoughts, been my goal.  And now...I'm here.
John Crichton-Terra Firma

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 09:14:13 AM »
Aeryn's.

Darn.  I'd truly made up my mind on this one, and now I'm waffling.  I can HEAR Aeryn inside my head. 

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 09:23:13 AM »
Aeryn's.

Darn.  I'd truly made up my mind on this one, and now I'm waffling.  I can HEAR Aeryn inside my head. 

;D

Why Aeryn's?  Is she easier to write because she is female and you can identify with her more?

Sybil

Earth.  Terra Firma.  Seems forever it's filled my thoughts, been my goal.  And now...I'm here.

Offline ixchup

• Contributor
    • Words To Web
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 09:49:58 AM »
Well, John is really due for a POV and whomping... just saying.

I think what is interesting in using the second person is that it is both "inside the head" of your character--what they are thinking (which is dangerous to write because do we really think in complete sentences or do we think in pictures?) and the second person is also pointing to someone else almost at the same time. This complicates the writing again because "You" in English can be accusatory, personal, and introspective all at the same time. Footfalls is interesting because Aeryn is so determined to be a good mother while she is slowly dying inside worrying about John. And I adore Braca's fate and Aeryn's dealings with him. There the second person is a way to say things about politics of the UTs and PKs without having to go into huge discussions since Aeryn knows what is going on. We are in her head, so we know too.

So, can I have a good John whomp? Love the story about how John was mind-cleansed and how Aeryn got him back. Would love a small addition because John was such a mess and he hadn't seen DJ yet.

I like intense, too.

--Revenging Angel

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 10:16:08 AM »
Why Aeryn's?  Is she easier to write because she is female and you can identify with her more?

In this particular instance, it's because it is going to be a sequel to Ship Wreck, which was written from Aeryn's POV.  Also, I have a moment in the beginning where she's looking at John, who is still asleep on the bed, and I have a visual image that I find a bit ... erm ... hot, shall we say?  So that initial image has got to come from Aeryn.  A lot of times the decision is based on where the 'camera' is positioned, not whose feelings I want to explore. 

Overall, when it comes to smut-fic, I find it interesting that I land in John's POV probably about as often as I land in Aeryn's. 

At least, I think I do.

<runs off to count NC-17 fics and POV's>

John - 3;  Aeryn - 4;  Both - 2

I find Aeryn's POV easier to work with because I know what that side of things feels like, and I can write the sensations more easily.  I enjoy writing John's side of things because he is so in love with Aeryn, which makes it enjoyable to write the passion, and because I like poking a little fun at his fixation on sex.  I'm not just picking on John when I do it.  I like to play with the entire difference between the two sexes, and how men and women think about and respond to arousal.  Obviously, John is more difficult to write since I don't really know how it feels.

Well, John is really due for a POV and whomping... just saying.

I'm starting to develop a complex about how often people think I whump John.  I had the wrong answer at the fanfic panel at Burbank.  Instead of addressing how often I whump him, I should have asked how often I take off his clothes.  :devil: 

So, can I have a good John whomp?

I think I've got one coming for you.  I'm not going to beat the crap out of him, but he starts the story out a bit battered.  It's not gratuitous.  I need him a little beat up because of what's going to happen when Aeryn tries to help him clean up. 

And no, I won't tell you any more than that.  :razz: 

Offline ixchup

• Contributor
    • Words To Web
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 10:26:07 AM »
Crash, I like the whomp because I adore the clean up. It is the emotions between Aeryn and John and his own self doubt, confusion, and love for Aeryn that I like to read after a whomp--not the messing up of John itself. So, write away. I don't need no stink'n spoilers.

Interesting that you pick up John's physical need for Aeryn (which is definitely canon in Farscape) and I can see that writing from Aeryn's POV is easier because you and she are female, but Aeryn is a tough nut to crack because her physical reactions are not connected as tightly with love--recreation was a natural behavior among soldiers and expected. So, to me, John's human sexuality would be easier to write than Aeryn's alien and repressed feelings. Those writers who make Aeryn sexually wanton, in my mind, are missing her rather direct approach to things--physical and mental. John had to teach her that love and gentleness goes hand in hand with sex.

--Revenging Angel

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 10:33:18 AM »
In this particular instance, it's because it is going to be a sequel to Ship Wreck, which was written from Aeryn's POV.  Also, I have a moment in the beginning where she's looking at John, who is still asleep on the bed, and I have a visual image that I find a bit ... erm ... hot, shall we say?  So that initial image has got to come from Aeryn.  A lot of times the decision is based on where the 'camera' is positioned, not whose feelings I want to explore. 

Well good lord I will not be able to get that scene out of my mind either.  :faint: I have a very vivid imagination. :devil:  Definitely if it is the sequel to Shipwreck it needs to be from Aeryn's POV.

Overall, when it comes to smut-fic, I find it interesting that I land in John's POV probably about as often as I land in Aeryn's. 

At least, I think I do.

<runs off to count NC-17 fics and POV's>

John - 3;  Aeryn - 4;  Both - 2

I find Aeryn's POV easier to work with because I know what that side of things feels like, and I can write the sensations more easily.  I enjoy writing John's side of things because he is so in love with Aeryn, which makes it enjoyable to write the passion, and because I like poking a little fun at his fixation on sex.  I'm not just picking on John when I do it.  I like to play with the entire difference between the two sexes, and how men and women think about and respond to arousal.  Obviously, John is more difficult to write since I don't really know how it feels.

Yes, I would imagine it is easier to understand the sensations and feelings from Aeryn's pov. 

Sybil

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »
Well good lord I will not be able to get that scene out of my mind either.  :faint: I have a very vivid imagination.

If you'd like, I can show you the picture that caught the Youses Muses Gang's attention.  It's not X-rated, and I'm not offering out of gratuitous oogling of the male body.  (Although that's not necessarily a bad thing! :naughty: ) I'm offering because it has to do with where story ideas come from.  I hesitate to just post it because I'm pretty sure that once I post it, no one will be able to see anything other than this picture when they read the story.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, except it robs the reader of the opportunity for their own imagination to take over. 

Crash, I like the whomp because I adore the clean up. It is the emotions between Aeryn and John and his own self doubt, confusion, and love for Aeryn that I like to read after a whomp--not the messing up of John itself. So, write away. I don't need no stink'n spoilers.

I think the story I have in mind will do most of that.  The ending is going to be a bit more Farscape than some of my other stories in that there will be less resolution, but it should score high on angst and drama. 

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 12:06:10 PM »
If you'd like, I can show you the picture that caught the Youses Muses Gang's attention.  It's not X-rated, and I'm not offering out of gratuitous oogling of the male body.  (Although that's not necessarily a bad thing! :naughty: ) I'm offering because it has to do with where story ideas come from.  I hesitate to just post it because I'm pretty sure that once I post it, no one will be able to see anything other than this picture when they read the story.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, except it robs the reader of the opportunity for their own imagination to take over. 

I would like to see it.  I like oogling the male body but I will not think of it as I read about John.  John is pretty much stamped in my mind  (I rather like his body. :devil:) and I will think of him and not anyone else.  You can pm me if you would rather.  I am curious as to how you get your ideas.  I am very nosy about that sort of thing as you know.

Sybil

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 12:18:16 PM »
This is pretty much where Storm Warning begins, and why it needs to be from Aeryn's POV. 

(click to show/hide)

As far as story idea genesis ... this one is VERY simple.  I saw this, said, "Oh my heavens.  I do like that view ... provided he's wearing what he's wearing" :melting: ... and decided that Aeryn might have the same thought. 

Offline ixchup

• Contributor
    • Words To Web
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 12:21:55 PM »
woah. Yup, I can just imagine what Aeryn is thinking... given that view.

--Revenging Angel

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 12:26:13 PM »
This is pretty much where Storm Warning begins, and why it needs to be from Aeryn's POV. 

(click to show/hide)

As far as story idea genesis ... this one is VERY simple.  I saw this, said, "Oh my heavens.  I do like that view ... provided he's wearing what he's wearing" :melting: ... and decided that Aeryn might have the same thought. 

:faint:

Yep,  That has to be from Aeryn's point of view.  Would love to see John in that position.  Take a deep breath Sybil let it out slowly.   :devil:

Sybil

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 12:30:25 PM »

Yep!  But he's got to have the shorts on ... right?  Take those away, and the view is kind of ugly, isn't it?  (At least that's Aeryn's opinion.)

Would love to see John in that position. 

No argument here.