Author Topic: Brought me to tears  (Read 1201 times)

Offline UTChick

• Contributor
Brought me to tears
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:07:29 AM »
Again, you write so well - that the images you convey with words are extremely motivating.  I'm talking about the time the body of a soldier was flown in the middle of the night, received with an honor guard.  It's been a while since I read it - it's sad  - so I don't really want to re-read it - but it left me with such a gut-wrenching reaction.  I can still feel it - even a couple of years later - such a moving story of honor encompassing the death of the soldier.

I just wanted you to know that your words really had a tremendous impact on me and my mother when I shared it with her, too.

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • What's Crash up to NOW?!?!?
    • Crash Debris
Re: Brought me to tears
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »
Thank you! :-[

Watching that particular homecoming was incredibly difficult for one of the strangest reasons:  There aren't any Marine units within about 3 hours of Burlington.  I don't know how they arrange something like that, but my guess is that the honor guard might have come from Massachusetts in order to be there.  The fact that it was so incredibly cold that night contributed to it.  It was one of those "sharp" nights when the world seems even more silent as a result of the low temperatures.  It was an incredibly difficult moment to watch.  I still get choked up thinking about it.

As kind of a side note, Vermont has the highest per capita death rate of soldiers in the U.S.  It's a small state with some exceedingly rural areas where the only option open to too many of the young men and women who want to break out of that rural existence is serving in the military.  The fact that some of the towns are so small makes each loss even more difficult to endure.  Not that any loss is 'easier', no matter where the soldier used to live.  It's just that up here, a single death can touch a greater percentage of a community. 

Happiness is not a destination.  It is a method of life. -- Burton Hills
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene