Author Topic: A new reader says "Hi" :-)  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Bimo

• Contributor
A new reader says "Hi" :-)
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »
Hello Kernil,

I recently discovered your stories via a recommendation community on LiveJournal and simply wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying them! :) As posting any kind of  longer and more detailed feedback on a public posting board feels a bit awkward to me, I would very much like to ask if there is a way to send you a PM or an e-mail. (Maybe I'm simply blind, but I searched your page and couldn't find any...)

Anyway, many greetings from Germany, it's been ages since a fanfic novella swept me away like <i>Whispers</i> has done,

Bimo

Offline shester

• Contributor
Re: A new reader says "Hi" :-)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 01:45:31 PM »
Hi Bimo.  Whispers is soooo heartbreaking. 

Be sure to read Child of the Night.  That one is my absolute favorite of Crash's. 

Sybil

Earth.  Terra Firma.  Seems forever it's filled my thoughts, been my goal.  And now...I'm here.
John Crichton-Terra Firma

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • What's Crash up to NOW?!?!?
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:39:46 PM »
Hi Bimo, and welcome! 

You should be able to send PMs now.  You did not overlook anything.  That feature is turned off for brand new members in order to protect everyone from spammers.  If I did it correctly ;) , you should be able to send messages now.

Thank you for the nice things you've already said.  ;D 

Crash

Happiness is not a destination.  It is a method of life. -- Burton Hills
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline Nette

• Contributor
  • Irreversibly Contaminated...
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:38:37 AM »
Welcome Bimo    :wave:

I have read alot of Farscape fan fiction and will honestly say that Crash is THE BEST    :bow1:  You have some wonderful stories ahead of you    :goodvibes:

Be sure to read Child of the Night.  That one is my absolute favorite of Crash's. 

Sybil

Absolutely!!!    :agreed:

Offline Bimo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:32:52 AM »
First of all, lots of thanks for the friendly welcome and recommendations, everyone!  Btw., I'm a real life 'Sybil' as well, albeit one with a slightly alternative spelling, additional '-le' at the end  ;).

You've no idea how fantastic it is to really fall for a TV show so relatively late in the game and then discover that there is still such an amount of wonderful stuff out there – fannish infrastructure, stories and people to talk to. While I had first watched Farscape back in 2003 it wasn't until my own recent rewatch that the show, in its entirety, really clicked with me…. the characters, the acting, the often quite daring writing and larger general themes. I think I'm just a few eps ahead of you at the moment. The last episodes I watched were 'Kansas' and 'Terra Firma', in which I simultaneously wanted to comfort John and to kick him…

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:37:15 AM »
You've no idea how fantastic it is to really fall for a TV show so relatively late in the game and then discover that there is still such an amount of wonderful stuff out there – fannish infrastructure, stories and people to talk to.

I know some of the feeling -- the falling so completely for a TV show part.  I don't watch much television, so it was a heck of a shock to fall so thoroughly and completely for this one.  My family thought (still thinks) I lost my mind.  :laugh: 

I'm assuming you've found Terra Firma (the forum)? 
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline Bimo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
'Terra Firma' ? That's the really large message board that came after 'Kansas', isn't it?  I think I must have made a handful of posts on the old board back in 2003, one mini-ficlet that I had written right after seeing the first bunch of eps, and also a few replies to other people's stories and paintings. 'Terra Firma' is definitely worth checking out in the near future!  ;D

Re: Falling for a TV show

Well, for me the feeling is all too familiar as I'm afraid I'm a bit of a TV junkie. Not my fault, I swear! It was my Dad who hooked me up on Star Trek at the tender age of 10 or 11, and I've been rather multi-fannish ever since. Trek, Doctor Who and various other genre shows, though the intensity of fannish love might vary.

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 12:03:36 PM »
'Terra Firma' ? That's the really large message board that came after 'Kansas', isn't it?  

Yes.  :agreed:  It's where all the Kansans moved to after Kansas shut down ... sort of Kansas 2.0. 

I think I must have made a handful of posts on the old board back in 2003, one mini-ficlet that I had written right after seeing the first bunch of eps, and also a few replies to other people's stories and paintings. 'Terra Firma' is definitely worth checking out in the near future!

If you're looking for a Farscape-addicted mob or fans to talk with, there are still several hundred Farcosis patients hanging out at Terra Firma.  Lurkers are always welcome ;) if you want to check out the atmosphere of the place first.  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:04:16 PM by KernilCrash »

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 12:07:37 PM »
First of all, lots of thanks for the friendly welcome and recommendations, everyone!  Btw., I'm a real life 'Sybil' as well, albeit one with a slightly alternative spelling, additional '-le' at the end  ;).

;D

You've no idea how fantastic it is to really fall for a TV show so relatively late in the game and then discover that there is still such an amount of wonderful stuff out there – fannish infrastructure, stories and people to talk to. While I had first watched Farscape back in 2003 it wasn't until my own recent rewatch that the show, in its entirety, really clicked with me…. the characters, the acting, the often quite daring writing and larger general themes. I think I'm just a few eps ahead of you at the moment. The last episodes I watched were 'Kansas' and 'Terra Firma', in which I simultaneously wanted to comfort John and to kick him…

Join us in the rewatch if you like. 

Sybil

Earth.  Terra Firma.  Seems forever it's filled my thoughts, been my goal.  And now...I'm here.

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
Join us in the rewatch if you like. 

:agreed:

Offline Bimo

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46:50 AM »
Registered at "Terra Firma" sometime this morning, just in case I might want to contribute  :). The board looks awfully large though...

Oh, and Crash, if everything went right you should find the feedback mail that I promised waiting for you in your inbox ;D

Bimo

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »
Registered at "Terra Firma" sometime this morning, just in case I might want to contribute  :). The board looks awfully large though...

I saw that you had registered.  :agreed:  I know the forum is a bit overwhelming at first.  :o  I think once you figure out how stuff is organized, you'll discover that you only need to pay attention to certain boards (the ones that interest you ;) ). 

The trick to TF is ignoring sections of the board at first.  Until you settle in and learn your way around the place, try minimizing (hit the little minus sign next to the title of the section) the Cargo Bay and the Clamshell.  That will cut way down on sensory overload.  ;D  Concentrate on 1) Farscape Firmament, which is where all the Farscape-related conversations take place; 2) the Commerce Planet, if you're interested in general chatter; and 3) the Uncharted Terrastories, for fanfic.  Later, once you're feeling more at home, you can maximize the Clamshell, and spend the next several years of your life watching fantastic music videos.  :laugh:

You might want to bookmark this thread:  Fanfic Awards.  Until you get to know some of the writers who frequent Terra Firma, the links will lead you to some of the best fanfic.  Once you find someone you like, check their signature block for links to personal sites or see if they have a "Data Chip" where they list all their fanfic. 

Oh, and Crash, if everything went right you should find the feedback mail that I promised waiting for you in your inbox ;D

Everything went right.  I'll get back to you a little later today.  Right now I need to turn off the computer and take care of some of real life.

Crash
:dk:

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »

Everything went right.  I'll get back to you a little later today.  Right now I need to turn off the computer and take care of some of real life.

Crash
:dk:

You have a real life?  :razz:  ;D

Sybil

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 04:22:13 PM »

Offline Bimo

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 12:37:36 PM »
Lots of thanks for the tips regarding 'Terra Firma'!  Reducing the number of forums to just a few really does make a difference! :flower:

Oh, and one -- hopefully final --  technical question regarding private messaging here on the Feedback board... Is there any way to see the messages that I've send off? I can see the ones I've gotten, but not the ones that I've  sent, and I'm kind of paranoid about that ... ;)

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Reducing the number of forums to just a few really does make a difference! :flower:

Once you get used to the forum, you'll be able to open those up and ignore the places you don't go. But yeah, it's overwhelming at first.  :agree:

Oh, and one -- hopefully final --  technical question regarding private messaging here on the Feedback board... Is there any way to see the messages that I've send off? I can see the ones I've gotten, but not the ones that I've  sent, and I'm kind of paranoid about that ... ;) 

Yes.  It's a setting in your profile.  I turned it on for you, but it doesn't hurt to take a look.  Go into your Profile (button up near the top of the page).  Then click on "Personal Message Options", about 2/3 of the way down the list on the left side.  I turned on "Save a copy in my Outbox by default".  You can also play with the settings underneath that to let you know when you've got a new message.  :)

Offline Bimo

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »
Aw, thank you! :flower:

I just went and saw for myself. Funny how things sometimes can depend on what type of forum software you are used to...  ;)

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 02:27:59 PM »
I just went and saw for myself. Funny how things sometimes can depend on what type of forum software you are used to...  ;)

Oh wow.  You aren't kidding.  I recently joined a forum using phpBB, and it's been an adventure finding everything.  :bbbb:

Offline Bimo

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 02:31:06 AM »
Heh, phpBB is exactly where I'm coming from!  :innocent:  Though most of my fannish activities are centered around  journalling services these days (for me it's usually easier to keep up with with people than with show-specific fandoms), I guess I'd still be able to navigate any given  phpBB-run board by a mixture of year-long practice and instinct.

Good grief, why is it that I feel like an ancient online crone right now when I'm actually just 36... :puzzled:

Offline Eirenne

• Contributor
  • Beyond Hope....
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
Welcome Bimo,very glad you found us.  Crash's fanfiction is some of the best stuff I have read.

Enjoy!  :goodvibes:

banner by pwells228

"I would be lost without you..."  :heartbeat: