Author Topic: I, E.T. - 1.02  (Read 4061 times)

Offline panic

• Contributor
I, E.T. - 1.02
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »

Don't tell me you're going to miss that rock.

No, not that rock. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:37:58 PM by panic »

Offline K_Lara7

• K'Lara7
  • Contributor
  • Why do our plans never work?
Re: I, E.T. - 1.02
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 03:29:29 AM »
This episode speaks of irony.  Here's Crichton who's only just realized that there really is life in outer-space and now he represents Close Encounters.  Aeryn and D'Argo are hiding in a tree picking on Crichton, even though they are expecting him to find a substance he's never seen on a planet he's never been to.  They don't try to understand the device that Pilot gave them.  Then when D'Argo gets captured and Crichton saves him, D'Argo asks him what took so long.  Gee, you expected him to rescue you, but you have no respect for his intelligence? 

"You know, all things considered, there are worse ways to end a day."  :)
Char

Offline K_Lara7

• K'Lara7
  • Contributor
  • Why do our plans never work?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »
I thought to add that I think the most important factor about this episode is that Crichton is experiencing first hand how a planet like Earth will react to aliens.  From this point forward he will be wondering what kind of reception he and his friends will get on Earth.
"You know, all things considered, there are worse ways to end a day."  :)
Char

Offline DRD Pike

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:35:55 PM »
This episode had a good moment for Rygel. Usually he is somewhat self-absorbed and blustering, but when he talks about how he doesn't know what he's doing (separating the beacon), he kind of shows that he is insecure and scared about something. And he seems a bit embarrassed about not knowing how to do something because everyone always did stuff for him. It shows that there is more to him than he might let others see. A great way to make him a three-dimensional character (I think that's the right term).

I noticed particularly in this episode how well Claudia Black portrays Aeryn as the abrasive outsider. Her response to Zhaan, "Are you laughing at me?" was interesting as well. Perhaps, judging by how she says it, she already at this point does not actually want to be the outsider, but rather acts the way she does as a defense mechanism.

John and Aeryn's conversation about neither of them having a home brought something to my attention. None of the main characters are in their element, at the beginning at least. Even, Crais, the main antagonist for the first season, is taken out of his element very early on. This is nice, it makes Farscape unique.
In many series, at least one of the main characters is in an environment that they know or have been in for a while or are comfortable with. Not always, but a lot of the time. For example, in Doctor Who, the companions are thrown into this new world and are overwhelmed by it. But the Doctor, even when in an environment that is new to him where he has to learn about it a bit, is usually comfortable with the new environment.

Offline panic

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
I like the opening of this ep.  John is trying to find his place with the others, trying out the new lingo and trying to figure out if his brain is melting from the noise. 

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
Seems like this is not one of our favortes. ;D 

Sybil

Earth.  Terra Firma.  Seems forever it's filled my thoughts, been my goal.  And now...I'm here.
John Crichton-Terra Firma

Offline tara

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 04:09:10 PM »
It’s not one of my favorites, but there are parts that I really enjoy:

I love how innocent Crichton is – how easily relatable his awe and wonder at his new circumstances is…

I love the insight we get into Rygel with his interaction with Zahn.

I love the discourse between Zahn and Aeryn and how far apart they are in ideology at this point…

I love when the little boy shakes Dargo’s hand – I mean, wouldn’t you just love that???!!      ;D

Then there’s that beautiful view of Pilot’s Den…

And, of course that moment at the end when John says “not that rock”…   just love that!!

Offline silvervixen

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 12:57:53 PM »
My favorite parts of this episode deal with the reactions of the native crew to John's Earth colloquialisms. It never fails to make me laugh when the crew, as one, looks at John like he's grown two heads when he says "Well if she can't, she can't. We can stick our heads between our legs and kiss our asses good-bye." I can just see the image the others most likely have pictured as the translator microbes translate that gem for them.  :laugh:

I also love Aeryn's matter-of-fact "Oh," to John's explanation of who Yoda is: "Just a little green guy. Trains warriors."  :laugh: :laugh: That gets me howling no matter how many times I've heard it. Yeah, I'm silly, I know.  :laugh:

Offline Eirenne

• Contributor
  • Beyond Hope....
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 11:54:30 PM »
I like the opening of this ep.  John is trying to find his place with the others, trying out the new lingo and trying to figure out if his brain is melting from the noise. 

That's one of my favorite scenes....

I also find it interesting that John is looked at as the "ET" in the episode.  He realizes that what he has seen on this planet reminds of him home...

banner by pwells228

"I would be lost without you..."  :heartbeat: