Author Topic: DNA Mad Scientist -1.09  (Read 2738 times)

Offline K_Lara7

• K'Lara7
  • Contributor
  • Why do our plans never work?
DNA Mad Scientist -1.09
« on: May 04, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the beginning of the episode Crichton's getting stabbed in the eye for his friends.  I don't think he's doing it for himself because he doesn't seem to be buying what Namtar is selling.  While Aeryn is all moody in the corner and not wanting to participate, Crichton is pretty sure Namtar won't be able to find his home world, and even if he does, he won't be able to get home easily.  From the beginning I don't think Crichton saw Namtar as anything more than a snake oil salesman.  With 11 million species Namtar can't even begin to plot his home world. 

Rygel should have found out what the price would be before the poke in the eye.

I love the interaction between Crichton and Aeryn in this episode.  The conversation in the bar between them first at the bar, then in the center chamber. 

Pilot gets some great moments in this one.  We see him start to loose some of his passiveness and start ot stand up for himself.  John and Aeryn show great concern for him and Moya.  They see Moya and Pilot as people too, not just servicers as D'Argo refers to them. 

When Aeryn is going through the changes, you see John trying his best to hide his horror at what has been done to her and once again, he's the one who refuses to give up on her.  He even tries to take Namtar on.

We see major changes in Aeryn.  She's now acting as protector to Pilot and Moya, confronting D'Argo, Zhaan and Rygel.  We also see her insecurities.  She doesn't want to be left behind and I don't think she wants to be dependent on Crichton so she goes back to Namtar to see if he can find her a home.

I don't think Crichton would have been willing to cut Pilot's arm off for a chance to go home.  He didn't have that choice to make, but I don't think he would have done it.

And now Aeryn has Pilot's DNA which will come in so handy in the future.

I guess I should have been surprised that Zhaan of all people helped cut Pilot's arm off, but at this point she's still dealing with her dark side and she justifies to herself that end makes it all ok.

And I love the happy face scene at the end.  It's such a human thing to do.  :)
"You know, all things considered, there are worse ways to end a day."  :)
Char

Offline silvervixen

• Contributor
Re: DNA Mad Scientist -1.09
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »
When I first watched DNA Mad Scientist, I can remember being really shocked at Zhaan's willlingness to sacrifice one of Pilot's arms in order to get something she very much desired: a way to her home world. I don't think I've ever been able to view her the same way since this episode. From this point on, whenever she admonishes anyone else for being selfish, I can't help but think she is a bit of a hypocrite.

What interested me during this re-watch was Aeryn. She is still very much a Peacekeeper, yet she stands up for Pilot and decries the horrific actions of the others to their faces. She also displays a heartbreaking vulnerability to John when she confesses that she's never been on her own, never been alone, during her entire life. Later, in Pilot's den when she shows him what Namtar did to her, she reveals that she let Namtar inject her because she didn't want to get left behind, didn't want to be alone.

John and Aeryn's relationship continues to evolve as it is clear that the two spend a lot of time together. It is to him that she displays her vulnerabilities and although he is still a little too touchy-feely for her, she still likes him.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:17:35 PM by silvervixen »

Offline Eirenne

• Contributor
  • Beyond Hope....
Re: DNA Mad Scientist -1.09
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:58:56 PM »
It still bothers me that all of them except John and Aeryn are willing to sacrifice Pilot's arm in order to get home.  I just couldn't do it.  I think at times Zhaan played both sides.  She had her moral compass but when she had an agenda I think she would do what was necessary to accomplish it.

banner by pwells228

"I would be lost without you..."  :heartbeat: