Author Topic: Another "have you ever"  (Read 4636 times)

Offline shester

• Contributor
Another "have you ever"
« on: January 05, 2009, 06:50:15 AM »
read someone's fanfic and thought of another way for the story to go?  Or maybe read someone's story and wonder if they got into your head and stole your idea? ;)

Sybil

Earth.  Terra Firma.  Seems forever it's filled my thoughts, been my goal.  And now...I'm here.
John Crichton-Terra Firma

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • What's Crash up to NOW?!?!?
    • Crash Debris
Re: Another "have you ever"
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:30:02 AM »
Oh good, another excuse to rattle on about my fic at length.  :veryhappy: 

I love your "Have you ever's".  ;D

read someone's fanfic and thought of another way for the story to go? 

I had one really blatant case of this:  The Chrysalis.  I mentioned it in the wingnut for The Changeling.  Speedbump wrote a fic called The Resurrection of Man.  (If you head off to read it, be aware that it's a sequel to a story called DeEvolution of Man, so you may need to either skim or find a synopsis for the first one to understand where the second one starts.)  In her story, Speedbump got John more filthy and battered than I have ever managed to achieve.  (That's "filthy AND battered".  I think I've scored high on each one individually, but not the combined category.  ;) )  Then she spent about three paragraphs cleaning him up. 

:weeping:  :weeping:  :weeping: 

It was absolutely the right thing for the story.  If she had taken longer, she would have destroyed the pace and detracted from the plot of the story, so I have no criticism of Speedbump for that decision.  But I remember thinking, "What a lost opportunity!!!"  :tantrum:

It had a lot to do with why I needed to write The Chrysalis.  I really needed to take some time washing John.  :melting:

That's not quite what you're asking though. 

I think the answer is yes, but usually not to the degree where I wind up writing something as a result of it.  The one other exception is Tough Love.  That is very definitely a backlash against some of the "family" fanfics I was reading at the time.  So many of them had this vision of a safe, peaceful environment where John and Aeryn could raise the kids without any of the worries we ever saw on the screen.  It's not so much that I thought that the story should go in another direction as it was that I have a different view of what the UT's are going to be like even after the Scarran-Peacekeeper Armistice.  I think it's an incredibly dangerous universe, and that the Sun-Crichton kids will need to be tough, hardened, and capable in order to survive.  I got tired of reading the "everything is rosy" fics, and wrote Tough Love instead, where an 8-year-old needs to kill in order to save his parents. 

Or maybe read someone's story and wonder if they got into your head and stole your idea?

:ponder:

I don't recall ever running into this.  (I mean, who would want to get inside my head in the first place?  It's a scary place in there!!  :laugh: )

It's not what you're talking about, but there was an single instance of what ran dangerously close to plagiarism.  Applying the extreme "interpret it nicely" end of the scale, I termed it a case of two of my fics providing an imagination 'springboard' for the person.  That's what Farscape does for every fanfic writer, so I chose to call it that.  On the other end of the scale, the person's fic was close enough to a merging of two of mine that several people noticed, used the "P" word, and wanted me to remove it from the forum. 

:dunno:

I find it difficult to get upset about something like this when it involves fanfic.  We're ALL playing in someone else's universe.  By ignoring it or silently acknowledging that it would be impossible to get it to stop, both Rockne and the Henson Co. give us the latitude (not permission) to continue playing with their intellectual property.  I'm not going to accuse someone else of playing with my creation unless it's blatant. 

Although ... :idea: ... I did have someone take one of my shorter, more humorous stories and play off the end of it.  In essence, they wrote a sequel ... without my permission.  Okay, That one irritated me.  Now they're really playing in my sandbox, and stole my red plastic shovel and bucket to boot. 

Happiness is not a destination.  It is a method of life. -- Burton Hills
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Offline Domino

• Ben is awesome!!
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 01:50:19 AM »

I had one really blatant case of this:  The Chrysalis.  I mentioned it in the wingnut for The Changeling.  Speedbump wrote a fic called The Resurrection of Man

Hey Crash?  How can I get my hands on De-evolution of Man?  I have it, but it's in printed form...
Ben/John/Cam are sex in leather.

I love the pairing of Cam Mitchell and John Sheppard.

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 06:43:45 AM »
Oh good, another excuse to rattle on about my fic at length.  :veryhappy: 

I love your "Have you ever's".  ;D

Good because I am soooo nosy about the writing and thoughts about writing and so forth. 

I had one really blatant case of this:  The Chrysalis.  I mentioned it in the wingnut for The Changeling.  Speedbump wrote a fic called The Resurrection of Man.  (If you head off to read it, be aware that it's a sequel to a story called DeEvolution of Man, so you may need to either skim or find a synopsis for the first one to understand where the second one starts.)  In her story, Speedbump got John more filthy and battered than I have ever managed to achieve.  (That's "filthy AND battered".  I think I've scored high on each one individually, but not the combined category.  ;) )  Then she spent about three paragraphs cleaning him up. 

I finally found Part 1 and read both parts.  It is a good story.  She certainly did do a number on him.   

It was absolutely the right thing for the story.  If she had taken longer, she would have destroyed the pace and detracted from the plot of the story, so I have no criticism of Speedbump for that decision.  But I remember thinking, "What a lost opportunity!!!"  :tantrum:

It had a lot to do with why I needed to write The Chrysalis.  I really needed to take some time washing John.  :melting:

Yes, she did the right thing but you do need to take your time "cleaning up John." :devil:  You clean up John very,very well. ;D

That's not quite what you're asking though. 

I think the answer is yes, but usually not to the degree where I wind up writing something as a result of it.  The one other exception is Tough Love.  That is very definitely a backlash against some of the "family" fanfics I was reading at the time.  So many of them had this vision of a safe, peaceful environment where John and Aeryn could raise the kids without any of the worries we ever saw on the screen.  It's not so much that I thought that the story should go in another direction as it was that I have a different view of what the UT's are going to be like even after the Scarran-Peacekeeper Armistice.  I think it's an incredibly dangerous universe, and that the Sun-Crichton kids will need to be tough, hardened, and capable in order to survive.  I got tired of reading the "everything is rosy" fics, and wrote Tough Love instead, where an 8-year-old needs to kill in order to save his parents. 

I am so glad you said this.  I stopped reading a lot of the "family" fic for the same reason.  J/A would not have a wonderful life without trouble on their heels.  It is not Farscape and you are right.  It is a very dangerous universe and someone is always going to want John for what he has in his head whether it is still there or not. (I personally think the wormhole knowledge is there just not the weapons part) And there are many other dangers too I am sure.  A universe with all the different species going around has to have problems lurking at every corner.  I loved Tough Love.

:ponder:

I don't recall ever running into this.  (I mean, who would want to get inside my head in the first place?  It's a scary place in there!!  :laugh: )

:laugh:

It's not what you're talking about, but there was an single instance of what ran dangerously close to plagiarism.  Applying the extreme "interpret it nicely" end of the scale, I termed it a case of two of my fics providing an imagination 'springboard' for the person.  That's what Farscape does for every fanfic writer, so I chose to call it that.  On the other end of the scale, the person's fic was close enough to a merging of two of mine that several people noticed, used the "P" word, and wanted me to remove it from the forum. 

:dunno:

I find it difficult to get upset about something like this when it involves fanfic.  We're ALL playing in someone else's universe.  By ignoring it or silently acknowledging that it would be impossible to get it to stop, both Rockne and the Henson Co. give us the latitude (not permission) to continue playing with their intellectual property.  I'm not going to accuse someone else of playing with my creation unless it's blatant. 

I guess it would be kind of hard to get upset at that if you are in essence doing the same with Rockne's characters and stories but it must rankle just a bit.

Although ... :idea: ... I did have someone take one of my shorter, more humorous stories and play off the end of it.  In essence, they wrote a sequel ... without my permission.  Okay, That one irritated me.  Now they're really playing in my sandbox, and stole my red plastic shovel and bucket to boot. 

Yeah that is definitely dipping into your sandbox and stealing your sand.

Sybil

Earth.  Terra Firma.  Seems forever it's filled my thoughts, been my goal.  And now...I'm here.

Offline shester

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 06:44:24 AM »
Hey Crash?  How can I get my hands on De-evolution of Man?  I have it, but it's in printed form...

I googled it Domino and found it that way.

Sybil

Offline KernilCrash

• Psychotic Scribbler
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • What's Crash up to NOW?!?!?
    • Crash Debris
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:55:12 AM »
I googled it Domino and found it that way.

Sybil

Try this link:  http://fffa.soliii.net/cgi-bin/story.pl?ArtID=10638&AuID=1027&tf=  It's Redbeard's, which is supposed to be defunct, but it still seems to be working.

And while I'm here ... Domino (or any other fanfic writing who might be reading and not replying), have you ever run into what Sybil asked?  Other perspectives or experiences are always welcome here.  :agreed:

Happiness is not a destination.  It is a method of life. -- Burton Hills
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene